#Dungeon23 Week 2

I made it to a second week!  Victory to me is simple: do this whole thing!

I have found that in my "extra" moments throughout my days I drift towards planning, and my mind starts listing types of rooms.  Later, when seated and writing, the list comes back and I can pick my favorite room and then riff off it.

I am not paying any attention to number of traps, treasure, tricks, or monsters.  If I ever actually use this thing then I can fill those in as part of my prep for a given session.  I am trying to really not worry about using this at all though: it makes it much easier to just scribble down my thoughts or ideas without worrying too hard.

I didn't add much to my "trophy" or "graffiti" list, which is something I should think back on as I expand, although those can of course just be a part of that "actual prep that would happen if I was really running this thing..."

It is fun to imagine I'd use it though!

this week, the school heads outside: parking lots, community gardens, football fields, gymnasia, etc. all to be filled with bee mutants and mimics!  I thought littering every area with small mimics would give the area a distinct flavor, and also I've never seen groups of mimics in an adventure.  I think it would be funny for players to slowly learn that the fields around the school are full of small mimics, and become increasingly paranoid about interacting with everything.  for the encounter table, I made sure it was full of mimics moving around, fighting each other, etc. to act as big clues to players that the detritus around them might be hungry.

I'm enjoying my "post-apocalyptic medieval science fantasy" approach.  I find it easier to pull whatever I want from my imagination and just jam it into this thing without worrying too much about whether it all makes sense.  I think the sense making would come from play.

Lastly, I noticed that I've been trending towards writing "auditorium" or "gym" for a room, and that this whole 1st level, and challenge might be easier if I would take an idea like that and break it apart into 7 rooms.  After all I can imagine 7 rooms for an auditorium (dressing room, stage, backstage, etc.) and it would be more detailed an interactable.  Maybe this is just a casualty of the sit down for a minute and just write out your idea as quickly as possible process?  I had half a mind to start over literally rewriting everything and "making it better".  But then I thought "nah, just keep trucking".  I'm not publishing this, it doesn't need to be great.

anyway, here is week 2~


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pendragon - Preparing My First Game

Reflections on the Call of Cthulhu Starter Set

Burnout